By default, your Drupal Template site will have a Main Menu item for Blog Entries. This default page is not editable - to build the page of blog entries, add them individually as structured content.
Use structured content if you want consistent formatting, ordered lists (usually by post date), and the capability to tag content into categories.
In the administration bar, click on the Menu button, go to Add Content and click Blog entry
Enter the title of the entry (this is what will appear in large font at the top of the page)
select a site-wide content category
The main content of the blog item
Note: By default summary text for listing pages is the first 350 characters of the body text. Usually body text contains lots of HTML code for formatting, all these HTML code characters count with the actual content text, and in some cases you may not see full 350 characters in summary text on the listing pages, because some of the text is HTML code, which is invisible for the end-user. However you may enter your own summary, which will be displayed as is on the listing page by clicking the Edit Summary link above body text area.
Choose whether the author is internal site user or an external author profile
- If “Author username” is selected – start typing username in the text field to see the dropdown list of users.
- Note: selecting user from the dropdown list is required in this option; after you select username it will append number in parentheses, which is the actual user id.
- If “Other” is selected - enter the author name and profile URL/website (URL is optional)
- Generate automatic URL alias (Permalink)
Most times you want to let Drupal choose the automatic alias for the page. However there are times when you want to specify a URL for a particular page. You can uncheck the “Generate automatic URL alias” box and enter your own custom URL. Be sure to avoid special characters when choosing a URL.
- Authoring information
Contains content creator user and date/time of when the content was created.
Once completed, click Save to publish.
Add a featured image to your Blog entries
Follow the instructions on the Add a Featured Image page. Imagery will enhance your website and help build your audience.
Adding Blog entries to a Basic Page or Landing Page
By default the template will show a main menu item for Blog entries. The default pages are not editable. If you wish to have editable pages of Blog entries or place Blog entries on a page with other types of content:
- Create a new Landing Page or edit an existing page.
- Add a new Pane to it. Do this by selecting Customize this page. Then click the plus symbol to add a new Pane.
- Select Blog and choose a Pane to add. Click Add. You MUST chose the correct View option and put it in the correct place or else nothing will show or it may look strange.
- Change the Settings, if desired.
- Click Save to save the View.
- Click Save again to save the page.
TIP: If you uncheck Display Body Text it is recommended that you uncheck Display Read More... or else a gap will appear in the listing.