RSS and Atom feeds are both methods of content delivery just like other delivery systems -- television signals, radio transmissions, and newspaper deliveries. When delivering content, there is a publisher and there can be many consumers. The industry standard terms are “publishing a feed” and “pulling a feed.” In Drupal, the publisher creates different feeds by adding different category terms. Consumer web pages then pull the feed by selecting and adding that category feed to their website.
From a user perspective, RSS and Atom feeds work the same way; the icon for an RSS feed and an Atom feed is the same.
How to Create News Feeds using News Categories
As the publisher or creator of News Content, you first need to create your news category options. The categories will later be used to pull individual news feeds. As the publisher, you will create News items for your website, as well as offer other websites the option to publish the feeds automatically and dynamically on their own websites.
- From the administration task bar, select Structure
- From the list at left, choose Taxonomy
- From PWDS News Categories, select list terms or add terms
- To add a category, select +Add term. As the publisher of news, you will use these categories to create your news feeds. Be conservative when adding categories -- start slowly!
- For this example, the category Faculty News will be added as a category.
- Click Save
How to Create News Items for Feeds
- From the Admin task bar, select Add content to create a news item.
- Select News item
- Create your News Item by filling in the required fields. Select a Category if you wish to publish the news item to any news feed. You can choose more than one. For this example, the category Faculty News will be selected. Note that by default, all news items will appear on your own News page.
- Click Publish and/or Save as draft (to continue working later).
How to Publish a News Feed (Pull News from Site A to Site B)
- Go to the News page of the website that is publishing news. (Site A).
- Go to the bottom of the News page and locate the news feed icon.
- The icon represents all of the News feeds from the publisher (Site A). Right-click on the icon and select Copy link address if you want to consume all of the news from the site. The address will be copied to your clipboard. You can right-click on any feed from any news source. For this example, the Princeton home page News is selected.
- If you only want to pull a specific feed (based on categories assigned as documented above) click on the More feeds link.
- Right-click and select Copy link address from the news feed category you wish to publish on your own website. For this example, the Faculty News category will be selected. The web address is then copied to your clipboard.
- Now go back to your own website (Site B). Go to an existing page (or a newly created page). Click Customize This page
- In the sidebar, or any region you choose, click the Plus sign + to add a new pane.
- Select News Feeds
- Click the green Add tab
- Use the paste command (Ctrl +V) to paste the feed link from Site A into the Feed URL field.
- Click Finish
- Click Save
At this time, news feeds consumed from a publishing site cannot be shown in the News Slideshow. The News Slideshow is designed to only show News on the page of the original publisher. The News Slideshow cannot show News from other websites. At this time news feeds also cannot contain images, and the News Slideshow requires images in order to present the news as a slideshow.
Configure External News Feed Widget
The News on Site B sorts by most recently published date. You can use the configuration settings to override the title to rename your feed differently than the Publisher. You can alter the appearance using different headers styles, as well as other options. Click on the Gear to access the settings panel.
- New News items may not appear on your website for up to 9 hours.