As the publisher or creator of Events Content, you first need to create your Events category options. These categories will later be used to pull individual RSS Events feeds. As the publisher, you will create Event items for your website, as well as offer other websites the option to publish the feeds automatically and dynamically on their own websites.
- From the administration task bar, select Structure
- From the list at left, choose Taxonomy
- From PWDS Events Categories, select list terms to view existing categories or add terms to add a category.
- To add a category, select +Add term. As the publisher of Events, you will use these categories to create your Events feeds. Be conservative when adding categories -- start slowly!
- For this example, the category Faculty Events will be added as a category.
- Click Save
How to create event items for feeds
- From the Admin toolbar, select Add Content to create a Events item.
- Select Events item
- Create your Events Item by filling in the required fields. Select a Category if you wish to publish the Events item to any Events feed. You can choose more than one. For this example, the category Faculty Events will be selected. Note that by default, all Events items will appear on your own Events page.
- Click Publish and/or Save as draft (to continue working later).
How to publish an RSS event Ffeed (Pull events from Site A to Site B)
- Go to the Events page of the website that is publishing Events (Site A).
- Go to the bottom of the Events page and locate the RSS Events feed icon.
- The RSS icon represents all of the Events feeds from the publisher (Site A). Right-click on the icon and select Copy link address if you want to consume all of the Events from the site. The address will be copied to your clipboard. You can right-click on any RSS feed from any Events source. For this example, the Princeton home page Events is selected.
- If you only want to pull a specific RSS feed (based on categories assigned as documented above) click on the More RSS feeds link.
- Right-click and select Copy link address from the Events feed category you wish to publish on your own website. For this example, the Faculty Events category will be selected. The RSS web address is then copied to your clipboard.
- Now go back to your own website (Site B). Go to an existing page (or a newly created page). Click Customize This page.
- In the sidebar or any region you choose, click the Plus sign + to add a new pane
- Select Events Feeds
- Click the Add tab
- Use the paste command (Ctrl +V) to paste the RSS feed link from Site A into the Feed URL field
- Click Finish
- Click Save