You can add a slideshow (or carousel) of News items to add visual interest and/or to highlight certain items. This feature is mainly used on the homepage of a website, however it can be used on other pages as well.
How to Add a News Slideshow:
- First, consider filtering the News items that appear in your slideshow by a taxonomy term; you can select a term or terms from the News or Sitewide categories.
- Then add a content pane to a Basic Page, your home page, or perhaps to your News “landing page” by selecting the “Customize this page” button.
- Select News: Slideshow and click Add
- Select from the various configuration options (hint: you should NOT uncheck the featured image).
- Click Save
Note: Please avoid using the pane named "News: Slideshow (deprecated)" because it does not meet the University's accessibility standards.
How to change the order of News items in your Slideshow:
The order of news items in the slideshow is determined by the value entered for “Date of Publication”, most recent is first.
Typically the newest articles show first. However if you want to surface an older article to the top spot then edit that article and check the box "Sticky at top of lists" under Publishing Options. To manually control the order of all items in the News Rotator, edit the articles' Date of Publication to today or some date more recent than than another article’s Date of Publication.
The Publishing options look like this:
News Slideshow - Advanced
There may be a scenario where you want the items in your slideshow to link to non-News items. To do that:
- Enter the News item and upload a Featured Image. Make note of the /node/# from the URL of the News item.
- Save the News item.
- Get the /node/# (or URL of another website) from the page to where you want the News item to link.
- Under Configuration > Search and metadata > URL Redirects, click Add redirect.
- Enter the /node/# of the News item in the “from" field and the /node/# (or URL) of where you want to land in the “to" field.
It is highly recommended that you do not mix link behavior in your slideshow- the links should all go to News items or all go to non-News pages. This consistency benefits your end user because the expected behavior of the News Slideshow remains consistent when they click on the links.