Uploading and linking to a new PDF or other file
Uploading the file
Your site has a files management page, which lists all the files uploaded on your site, including file types like PDFs and images. There's a link on this page to upload files.
- Using the main admin navigation bar on your site, click "Manage" and then "Content" to visit the content landing page.
- Click the "Files" tab on the top right of this page. This brings you to the files management page.
- Click "+ Add file" and then either drag and drop a file into the upload area or add a file by clicking "+ Add files" and locating it on your computer.
- Once the file is listed in the upload area, click "Next".
- You can provide a label for the file to help you identify it later. By default it will be the same as the filename. Click "Save" and your file will now appear in the list of all files.
Linking to the file
To link to the uploaded file, visit the editing interface for the page or content area where you want the link to appear.
- In the editor, write out some text that you want to become the link.
- Highlight the text, then click the "Link to content" button
- Click the "Link to content" icon (represented by a chain link with + symbol) in the WYSIWYG menu
- In the popup window, start typing the name of your document in the "Search for content" textfield. If you didn't provide a descriptive name when you uploaded the file, typing out the filename should work. Select the document when the search finds it.
- Click "Insert Link"
- The resulting link is my "linked document" example above.
Opening PDF Directly in the Browser vs Downloading
If you link to PDF using the method above, clicking the PDF link will typically download the file directly to your computer. You may instead prefer that linked PDFs open directly in the browser. This can be achieved by using an alternate method to embed a link to the PDF:
- Click the media browser icon in the editor toolbar (looks like a small picture of a mountain)
- Click the "Library" tab in the dialog that opens.
- Search for your uploaded PDF and double click it (or single click it and click the submit button)
- In the "Display As" dropdown, select "Default", then click the Submit button.
- A link to the PDF will be inserted into the editor. The name you assigned to the PDF during initial upload is used, and a PDF icon is displayed next to it. To change the name, you must edit the file from the files management page.
Please note that the despite using this alternate method, some browsers will have their own download behavior defined.