By default your Events will create an RSS feed. You can use this feed to share your Events with other Template websites or display Events from other websites.
Sharing your website's RSS feeds
- Go to [yoursite].princeton.edu/feeds. On this page you will see a list of all available RSS and iCal feeds from your site. If you defined categories for your Events (or News) you will see several feeds, if you did not define categories you will only see an option for "All categories"
- For Events you are given two feed options, either RSS or iCal. For either option, right click on the feed you want and "copy link address" to get the feed URL
NOTE: if you click (not right click) on iCal, a file will automatically download you can delete this file, this is not a feed, but just a file of current events posted to your site.
Display Events from another website's feed
In this example you will show Events from Site A on Site B. Site A has Events that Site B wants to show.
- Go to the Events page of the website that is publishing Events (Site A).
- Go to the bottom of the Events page and locate the RSS Events feed icon.
- The RSS icon represents all of the Events feeds from the publisher (Site A). Right-click on the icon and select Copy link address if you want to consume all of the Events from the site. The address will be copied to your clipboard. You can right-click on any RSS feed from any Events source. For this example, the Princeton home page Events is selected.
- If you only want to pull a specific RSS feed (based on categories assigned as documented above) click on the More RSS feeds link.
- Right-click and select Copy link address from the Events feed category you wish to publish on your own website. For this example, the Faculty Events category will be selected. The RSS web address is then copied to your clipboard.
- Now go back to your own website (Site B). Go to an existing page (or a newly created page). Click Customize This page.
- In the sidebar or any region you choose, click the Plus symbol + to add a new pane
- Select Events Feeds
- Click the Add tab
- Use the paste command (Ctrl +V) to paste the RSS feed link from Site A into the Feed URL field
- NEW! (Testing environment only) Enter the text you with to display when there are no upcoming events. By default, the area will be blank. If you wish to show a message, such as "sorry, there are no upcoming events at this time, be sure to fill in the field.
- Click Finish
- Click Save
- Events from a feed may not appear on your website for up to 9 hours.
You should consider using the Princeton Timeline system to manage your events. The Princeton Timeline is a software system developed by OIT that facilitates the distribution of time-critical information about activities, events, deadlines and announcements to the Princeton University community.