During periods of website development, redesign or emergency outages, the template sites are put into "Maintenance Mode". This is a way of blocking your website from public view until it is ready.
Maintenance mode allows the ability to:
- Display a message to your visitors letting them know that your website is under maintenance.
- You get to post specific reasons for your site’s downtime letting your visitors know that you are away of the site outage and you are currently working on it.
- When you stop visitors from browsing a website which is going through the maintenance process, it saves your visitors from seeing your website in a state of flux which can be confusing to visitors.
When maintenance mode is enabled, only "site admins" are able to access your site to perform content editing or site maintenance. Princeton University users with "reader" role can view content while the site is in maintenance mode.
All other visitors will see the default maintenance mode message which can be configured.
<Website Name> is currently under maintenance. We should be back shortly. Thank you for your patience.
Turning Maintenance Mode On/Off:
- From the admin toolbar, click 'Configuration'
- In the Development Section, Click 'Maintenance Mode'
- Check the box "Put site into maintenance mode" to turn maintenance mode ON
- Uncheck the box "Put site into maintenance mode" to turn maintenance mode OFF.
- Click 'Save Configuration' at the bottom of the page.